Did you know that archaeologists have discovered through excavations that primitive dental implants, bamboo fragments that resemble teeth, shells, and even metal embedded in human jawbones from 2000 BC? The history of dental implants goes way back, showing that it has always been a need and necessity since the beginning of time. Cut to today, The Global Foundation for Oral Rehabilitation (FOR) reports that over ¼ of adults aged 74 and above have lost all of their permanent teeth, and 69% of adults aged 35 to 44 have lost at least one permanent tooth due to gum disease, tooth decay, or accidents.
Anybody could need a tooth replacement, and by choosing the right dentist you can ensure the perfect solution for your missing tooth/teeth, with implants that have the look, feel, and function exactly like your natural teeth. Smile Craft Dental Clinic is rated as one of the best dental clinics in Goa, which will provide you with superior quality tooth replacement services, in a comforting environment and a supportive internationally qualified team of dental specialists.
What are Dental implants?
A dental implant is a post-like structure made out of titanium that replaces the missing tooth. The surgeon uses tools resembling screws to place the implant into the jawbone, which serves as an anchor for a crown—a type of prosthetic tooth. The dental implant and artificial tooth are then joined by a component known as an abutment.
The end result leaves you with an artificial tooth that looks, feels, and functions just like the rest of your natural teeth.
If you are looking for dental implants in Goa then Smile Craft Dental Clinic is the best option for you. We offer you a variety of dental implant services that are custom-tailored to fit your exact needs and requirements. If you are looking for implant services such as Endosteal Dental Implants, Full Mouth Dental Implants, or even All on 4 Dental Implants in Goa then head over to our clinic in Panjim or Margao to find out more through consultation.
Healing Process and Post-Operative Care
Once you’re done with the initial implant surgery you will want to take the time to sit back and relax while providing your body with that much-needed aid to ensure faster recovery. Here are a few important things to take care of during the recovery process along with some useful tips.
- For the first couple of days, it would be recommended to avoid brushing around the implant site in order to let that area heal appropriately without disturbance.
- Avoid using electric toothbrushes around that area, due to their high frequencies having the potential to irritate the implant. Instead, use a soft regular toothbrush and clean your teeth next to the implant with gentle strokes.
- It is also recommended during the initial healing process (which could last 3-4 months) that you visit your doctor for regular cleanups and make sure the healing progress is going well. Smile Craft Dental Clinic will provide you with professional services for dental cleaning as well as Dental Implants in Margao.
- Make sure to gargle your mouth daily with lukewarm salt water 2-3 times a day, or a prescribed medicated mouthwash in order to aid the healing process and prevent oral infections.
- Avoid water pick/floss for a couple of weeks.
- Avoid using your mouth retainer or dental prosthetics(dentures) for a couple of days (after consulting your dentist about it).
Although it would be ideal to stop smoking altogether, if that’s not possible, at the very least it is recommended to at least take a break a week prior to the treatment, as well as a week after. This will help your platelets oxygenate and help with the implant acceptance process. (Not to mention the sucking motion of air during smoking will disturb the healing process).
In addition, most people feel encouraged to leave smoking altogether during such implant processes in order to finally focus on their oral and general health.
Pain and Bleeding:
- Most patients will experience mild to moderate amounts of bleeding, especially during the first few days or first week but most patients find that manageable with the painkillers that will be prescribed.
- In order to minimize swelling and pain, make sure to keep your head in an upright position, and apply cold compress.
- If you feel you’re having excessive bleeding, you can also gently bite on a piece of clean gauze for 20 minutes and replace it every 20 minutes (maybe for an hour).
- Don’t suck on straws, don’t spit, try not coughing or sneezing too aggressively during the initial healing period to let the blood clot properly.
- Diligently follow the entire course of antibiotics that will be prescribed by your doctor in order to prevent infections during the healing process.
- In case of excessive bleeding persisting even after a week, or signs of oozing pus followed by fever, it is advised to consult your doctor as it could be signs of infection.
- It is advised to eat soft cold foods, especially right after your procedure, so definitely take this as an opportunity to indulge in your favorite ice creams and milkshakes.
- Avoid hard, chewy, or crunchy foods as putting excessive pressure near the site can disturb the initial bone fusion process, or easy-to-get-stuck foods can easily get lodged in the implant site.
- Avoid excessive sugary foods in the long run over the next couple of weeks- a couple of months if possible, as the bacteria accumulated by it is harmful to the healing process.
Smile Craft Dental Clinic not only provides you with the best services for Dental Implants in Goa but also guidance and support throughout the healing process to make sure the implant is a complete success.
To know more about Dental Implants read from our other Dental Implant blogs and call us on either our Margao or Panjim clinic to get a detailed consultation to know more.